Council Requirements for a Removal Home

If you are thinking of buying a removal home, congratulations! You are thinking about taking a very important step towards home ownership that just so happens to be one of the most environmentally friendly, historically generous, and exciting kinds of homes to own.

Removal homes have come to the forefront of people’s interest in recent years in a wave of nostalgia – no doubt sparked by the glut of modern, inexpensively made homes that have been flooding the investor market. As a removal home buyer, you are interested in buying a quality piece of Australian home craftsmanship while enjoying the dual benefit of being in your new home quicker than with a complete build. Removal home sellers get the benefit of being able to recycle their home while making a profit from the removal sale.

While buying and selling a removal home is great, there are some requirements that need to be adhered to in order to ensure that everything is done above board.

When Removal is Exempt from Planning Approval

According to the Brisbane City Council website, your home is located in various zones and within certain plans which – depending on the location – means that you may need planning approval to remove your home.

Removing your home is exempt from planning approval if:

  • You aren’t a Heritage Listed building or on a heritage listed site;
  • Your home isn’t built on a site in the pre-1911 building overlay;
  • Your home is located on a site in the “Traditional building character” overlay where your entire building was constructed after 1946;
  • Your home isn’t a commercial character building;
  • Your home or building isn’t ‘rooming accommodation’ (or a registered boarding house); and,
  • Your neighbourhood plan doesn’t have demolition assessable.

What You Need to Do for Safe Home Removal

When you are moving a house into the Brisbane City Council area, you need to make sure that you have a request for assessment in place. This is required by the council.

You also need to make sure that you have requested for plumbing approval to cap off the sewer, and that you have footpath approval to cross the footpath with a truck.

A Council Application

In order to buy and relocate a removal home, the council needs to have an application in writing with your professionally drawn plans – including any necessary engineering details – to ensure that the house is safe, secure and that it works for the council’s area.

You’ll need to get a site survey and a soil report, and possibly other kinds of professional reports. Some councils also require a bond to be paid that will be refunded once the project has been completed. The bond is simply in place to ensure that the work will be completed and that the council can complete the work if you abandon the project at no cost to them.

How Long Does the Council Application Take?

The application for the council approval for your removal home can take anywhere between a couple of weeks to a couple of months, depending on the complexity of the project.

How Much Does it Cost?

Again, this depends on the scale and complexity of the project that you are undertaking, but the cost depends on the council and the size of the project. The fees associated with professional services vary as well, so this will alter the total price.

A building application can cost anywhere between $5,000 and $7,000 – and this includes the preparation of your application, lodgement (and fees), the council approval and certifier fees, consultant fees, drawings and reports on the site.

Even with this cost, it’s still cheaper to get a removal home than it is to build from scratch – and it’s better for the planet, as well!

Register your details here to find out more about the range of removal homes that we can offer. We match you with the perfect home, so you are guaranteed of the right fit for you.